Friday, 17 April 2015

Play

Play becomes joy, joy becomes work, work becomes play.
Johannes Itten


We get so lost in routine or meeting deadlines that we sometimes forget how important it is to experiment, or let go and play. I've recently been making lo-fi experiments with paper, ink, scissors and masking tape and it has been a joy to let go and play. With memories of last summers' wonderful Henri Matisse: The Paper Cuts still etched in my memory, I've started playing, painting, cutting and arranging organic shapes and I'm hoping these will develop into a series of new works.


Almost all creativity involves purposeful play.
Abraham Maslow 

 
What I found wonderful about the Matisse show was the boldness of the artist using a pair of outsized scissors to carve into painted papers with almost reckless abandon, and as a result creating something quite beautiful based on vibrant colour and organic shapes. There was something really joyous about these works and you could clearly tell that he enjoyed creating them.

 
In art, everyone who plays wins.
Robert Genn


With spring emerging and winter gone I've also been listening to lots of music that represents the different seasons and cycles of the year. The sunshine has been instrumental in this sense of upliftment and spirit of playfulness in the studio. I am really enjoying playing and excited about the direction the developments are taking. I hope to share the outcomes with you in a later thread. In the meantime I shall continue to play.

 

Creative people are curious, flexible, persistent and independent with a tremendous spirit of adventure and a love of play.
Henri Matisse