Saturday, 16 April 2016

Biggs & Collings: They Shall Be Male And Female


Just a short stroll away from the Alison Watt exhibition featured in my last post, is this show by husband and wife team Biggs and Collings. I've liked their paintings since encountering them a few years ago at the London Art Fair. I love their dazzling optical effects, jewel-like colours and mid-century vibe. I enjoyed closely examining the surfaces where the brush has been dragged across the canvas surface to create subtle textures. I also like their recent development of skewing the diamond grid shapes which creates a sense of fracture and movement, like early Cubist experiments, or 'Dazzle' patterns on warships. The colour harmonies are great too - a restrained series of greys enlivened by hot pinks, yellows and oranges.









Biggs & Collings: They Shall Be Male And Female
until 27th April
Vigo Gallery
21 Dering Street
London
vigogallery.com