Wednesday, 5 October 2016

Tate Modern's Switch House



Some other pieces that brought me joy during my visit to the Georgia O'Keeffe exhibition, and new Switch House extension at Tate Modern. Absolutely love Ai Wei Wei's reconfigured trees and this below, installed in the Turbine Hall is a great example.





Two great figures, courtesy of  Gormley and Dubuffet.





Looking back through my photos it became obvious that pattern and repetition interested me most in the Boiler House collection.




Barbara Kruger (above), made a bold statement and asked a pertinent question. Cildo Meireles' Babel 2001, below though, was an even more impressive statement, consisting of some great antique analogue radios all playing at the same time. An - I wish I'd thought of that- moment.




Over in the new Switch House I really liked Marwan Rechmaoui's Beirut Caoutchouc (2004-8) - a rubber map of Beirut which visitors are allowed to engage with and actually walk on.




Not a malfunctioning heating system, but Arte Povera courtesy of  Marisa Merz.


The rooms dedicated to the work of Louise Bourgeois were my favourite in the Switch House extension. Her work seems to play successfully on our fears and neuroses.







The new pyramid structure is certainly architecturally dynamic and visually impressive from the outside, although I don't think many of the new gallery spaces contained within actually work/flow as well as they could as exhibition spaces. It is as if more thought was put into the design of the pyramid shape and exterior of the building in order to create a bold statement, and the actual interiors were shoe-horned in as an afterthought. The Switch House is certainly pulling in the crowds though, and is popular with visitors (if not the neighbours that it overlooks).