Saturday, 8 July 2017

In The Swim - Bathing Beauty



The Summer Show at Cambridge Contemporary Art opens today and also available there this summer is this, my new swimsuit - Bathing Beauty. Certain catwalk collections for this SS17 season were all about the 'Swimwear in the city' trend. Pulling off this look involves embracing the versatility of the combination of a statement one-piece swimsuit, or part of a bikini, with say a pair of denim shorts and jacket. Designers who showcased the trend with particular aplomb in their catwalk shows include Miuccia Prada, Michael Kors, and Phillip Lim.




 Miu Miu



Michael Kors


 Phillip Lim


Last winter I was wondering how to expand on my dress series, and experimented with making lingerie and bodysuit shapes. I took inspiration from the graphics of the 1950s, especially travel and film posters, and the cheesecake/beefcake poses of Hollywood stars in their publicity shots. I was most intrigued by the stylish shapes of the women's vintage bikinis and swimsuits. I visited the V&A for research and found this robust, knitted beauty below, which was the subject of much laughter from female visitors.


Back in the studio I edited and refined my drawings of vintage swimming costume shapes and created three that I really liked, before hand-cutting all of the individual elements and gluing them in place. Bathing Beauty is the first of these pieces to leave the studio. 


Bathing Beauty also taps into fashions current Power Florals trend, and is created in my current favourite material of choice - copper leaf, and measures 75cm x 55cm framed. It is one of the pieces from my new Copper Collection, and like Mandarin Collar is available over the summer from Cambridge Contemporary Art.




Summer Show
until 3rd September
Cambridge Contemporary Art
6 Trinity Street
Cambridge
http://www.cambridgegallery.co.uk/contact/