Friday 25 November 2011

Fine Feathered Friends

I am a huge admirer of our avian friends as you will no doubt guess from my Bird Gallery, and I like to depict them as well as butterflies. I recently attended the Ghosts of Gone Birds exhibition and was alarmed to see the devastation humans still continue to wreak on these beautiful creatures. The exhibition attempted to highlight extinct species and artistic contributions were made by Sir Peter Blake and Ralph Steadman amongst others. My eye however, was caught by the wonderful retro styling of this Bishops O' o' bird by illustrator Ben Newman which I covet. It is a screen-print on wood and I particularly like the handmade qualities such as the slight mis-registration  of the image and the fact that you can still see the woodgrain showing through.

No comments:

Post a Comment