Wednesday 2 November 2016

A Josef Frank-Inspired Commission


I have just been commissioned to create one of my 1 metre squared Butterfly Balls (here), based on the colours in this fabulous Josef Frank textile swatch for a client. The design is called Citrus Garden and I am currently trying to colour match to the swatch before I start cutting and arranging.


Coincidently Frank is a textile artist/furniture designer whose fantastic work I only discovered earlier this year whilst researching artists and designers for my Butterflies Through Other Eyes posts, and Frank and his wonderful designs will feature in a future edition of Butterflies Through Other Eyes.


I love his bold sense of colour, quirky designs, and also his obvious love of butterflies which feature frequently in his designs. Above is a different colourway of the same Citrus Garden design. I shall share the finished result of the commission in a later post. There will also be a Josef Frank retrospective at the Fashion and Textile Museum in January which I am really looking forward to visiting.