Saturday 17 February 2018

William Mitchell Sculpture - Cavendish Hotel


I've passed this artwork in St James's so many times on the way to visit the various galleries in the area, and was always curious as to whether it was a legitimate piece of art because of its setting and placement (the entrance to the Cavendish Hotel, Duke Street). After a little research I discovered that this is but one of several pieces of public sculpture in various sites throughout Britain by artist William Mitchell. Mitchell (born 1925), is famous for these large scale concrete murals, most of which date from the 1960's. The textures and pattern-making in this piece are fantastic as you can see from the photographs below. I like the way in which coloured lights are shone onto the piece to enhance the depth, pattern and texture in the mural. I have learnt that there is more of Mitchell's work in the nearby Curzon cinema Mayfair which I shall endeavour to investigate at a future date.