Sunday 18 October 2020

The Rapture

Rapture


As an artist a vital part of my process is the actual act of looking. As a result I've recently begun to investigate aspects of visual perception to make sense of certain sensations experienced when the eye reacts to specific images. I've been particularly preoccupied with naturally occurring patterns and optics found in nature that trigger the eye into recognising certain rhythms which then prompt a psychological/emotional reaction in the viewer, such as states of bliss or transcendence. I've looked at Gestalt theory, the study of how we perceive a set of components and then organise them into wholes or patterns. In my research I became particularly interested in different types of eye movement, especially those known as saccadic movements, where the eye darts rapidly, jumping from one position in the picture frame to another when reading an image. 

 


Having looked at a range of patterns found in nature I discovered I really liked those found in flower and seed heads where multiple spirals run both clockwise and anti-clockwise. These are known as Phyllotaxis spirals and can be generated from Fibonacci ratios. I like the hypnotic trance-like effects which occur in the vision generated by the saccadic movements of the eye tracing the rhythm and flow of these spiral patterns. I wanted to capture that very same transcendent, almost narcotic effect on the senses in parts of my work, and have used Fibonacci spirals and the Golden ratio as the basis of some new pieces of work involving spots. This first is Rapture, created in versions using gold, silver, and copper leaf with my signature butterflies on top adding to the sense of dramatic movement in the pieces. Dictionary definitions of the word 'rapture' include -"an expression or manifestation of ecstasy or passion, a state or experience of being carried away by overwhelming emotion, and a mystical experience in which the spirit is exalted to a knowledge of divine things," summing up precisely the feelings of transcendence I want the viewer to experience in looking at these new works. Each piece was created by the painstaking application of tiny, hand-gilded paper spots with a pair of fine tweezers to build up the pattern. Dear reader, it took the patience of a saint! However as I think you'll agree from the results it was well worth the effort. I particularly love the way the uneven light reflection off the individual dots creates a lustrous sheen adding to the sense of movement in not only the butterflies, but also the spot base matrix. Each Rapture artwork measures 50cm x 50cm, and comes supplied in an ash wood box frame. Contact me directly for further information with regards to availability or commissions if you are interested in this new work. Now you have experienced the Rapture, hold on to your hats, the next reveal will be a another spot piece with which I'll be transporting you to the heights of ecstacy...


 Rapture, work in progress

Rapture, work in progress
 
 Rapture, copper leaf, (detail)

 Rapture, copper leaf, (detail)

 Rapture, gold leaf, (detail)

Rapture, silver leaf, (detail)
  

  
 
20/20 Vision

No comments:

Post a Comment