Wednesday 5 July 2017

My Favourite Dress?


Whilst in Cambridge I delivered new work to Cambridge Contemporary Art for their Summer Show which opens at the weekend. Among the work delivered is this - the latest in my dress series - Mandarin Collar. Quite excited about this one, as I think it is perhaps the best and most intricate of my Dress series (here), so far. It is a symmetrical design and was inspired by patterned cut-work leather dresses seen on visits to Rome.


 Butterfly appliquéd and embroidered dresses in a Vienna boutique.


As well as these Valentino dresses seen in London at Harrods' Social Butterfly promo.




Mandarin Collar is made from copper leaf, which is my favourite working material of choice of late. I only started working with copper leaf earlier this year, and I love the really soft, rose-coloured glow of its surface, and the way it reflects the light, in contrast to the usual gold, and silver leaf that I work with. I decided it was time to start working with new dress silhouettes and this is the first of them. I like the way that Mandarin Collar resembles delicate lacework. All elements of the dress are individually hand cut by myself. It comes in a 55cm x 75cm ash frame. There are more new pieces to be revealed shortly including women's swimwear, lingerie, and a few more dress silhouettes. 


Mandarin Collar though, will be available for viewing and purchase from Cambridge Contemporary Art as part of their Summer Show which runs from 8th July - 3rd September. If you are interested in this piece and would like more information, or to reserve it before the show officially opens, then contact the gallery directly (details below).





Summer Show
until 3rd September
Cambridge Contemporary Art
6 Trinity Street
Cambridge
01223 324222 
http://www.cambridgegallery.co.uk/contact/