Thursday 15 November 2018

Yayoi Kusama: The Moving Moment When I Went To The Universe

My Heart Is Dancing Into The Universe

Possibly the biggest art event in London since the London Mastaba and Frieze, is this exhibition at Victoria Miro. Such was the anticipation and demand specifically for the new Infinity Room installation that entry was timed and ticketed. The whole exhibition deals with Kusama's obsession with the cosmos and infinity expressed through her signature visual language - the polka dot.

Pumpkins

I still admire Kusama's pumpkins in both sculptural and painted form. Having seen them on a smaller scale earlier this year (here), I enjoyed the larger format paintings in this show which had a little more substance, and newer versions which were further abstracted and reduced to a series of dots. The obsessive, painstakingly minute scale of the painted dots, and the dedication to the nature of their execution was admiral, but quite troubling.You can see what I mean with the dot paintings below.








Flowers That Speak All About My Heart Given To The Sky

Outside on the terrace are large flower sculptures. I had my first encounter with one of Kusama's flower sculptures in Lille earlier this year, and like their fun, Pop Art qualities.


My Eternal Soul Paintings

I felt a little sorry for the paintings in this series in the upper gallery, as though colourful and large, they lacked the impact and theatrics of the Infinity Room insatllation and the Flowers. The Infinity Mirrored Room was of course the thing the majority had come to witness, and it didn't disappoint. It was an almost psychedelic experience, although too brief due to the long queues waiting for their turn in the room. Although all of the tickets for the Infinity Mirrored Room have been booked, I noticed that many people did not turn up for their booked spot on the day I visited, so visitors desperate to see the installation who missed out may stil be able to get access. Contact the gallery for availability and details of no-shows.










Yayoi Kusama: The Moving Moment When I Went To The Universe
until 21st December
Victoria Miro
16 Wharf Road
London
N1